As soon as the river opened in spring 2014, several activities began that will help Arconic design the best possible engineering plan for the remediation project.
- Mapped the river bottom at depths less than five feet using survey equipment
- Took several hundred additional sediment samples to determine PCB concentrations and better define dredging and capping areas
- Completed a geotechnical survey to evaluate the stability of the Grasse River shoreline in the project area
- Took soil samples in selected flood plain areas to determine if PCBs are present in low lying areas adjacent to the river
- Continued efforts to assess the habitat in the project area so habitat restoration can take place as part of the remediation work